Collection of the
The CAS Diatom Collection Web Site is an ongoing project to present taxonomic information, images, records of collections, and references pertaining to diatoms.
This work has been supported in part by grants BSR-9017609 and DEB-9505269 from the National Science Foundation.
CAS Diatom Collection:
Diatom Identification Resource:
Here are instructions on searching the Taxon, Locality, and Publication databases.
- Overview of Collection Resources
- Types Database:
- This database provides information on types in the CAS collection.
- Taxon Database:
- This database provides information on the diatom taxa identified in the CAS collection.
- Locality Database:
- This database provides locality information on material found in the Academy's holdings.
- Publication Database:
- References in Van Landingham's Catalogue have been
entered, and citations from our reprint files are currently being entered.
Currently, the project focuses on recent freshwater diatoms of the United States. In the future, it will include marine and fossil taxa with an expanded geographic range.
- Introduction to Diatoms
- Freshwater Diatom
- This page includes images, keys, and a variety of collection, literature and distribution information to facilitate our understanding of freshwater diatom biodiversity, systematics, and evolution.
Diatom Genus Project:
A database on diatom genera, including when, where and by whom they were
described. This database is currently being developed and verified.
Scientists at the CAS Diatom Collection:
Links to other sites:
Great Lakes Diatoms
Center for Algal Microscopy & Image Digitization Bowling Green State University
UTEX: The Culture Collection of Algae
Paleolimnology and Diatom Home Pages Indiana University
The Loras College Freshwater Diatom Culture Collection
Farlow Diatom Catalog
Universtiy and Jepson Herbaria
Index Nominum Genericorum (Plantarum)
Peter Bostock's Home Page
North American Diatom
Send us comments at: email@example.com
Last updated: January 19, 1999
California Academy of Sciences, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, California