1853 - The California Academy of Natural Sciences is founded. (We became known as the California Academy of Sciences in 1868.)
  1874 - Academy moves into old Congregational Church building on DuPont at California. This is our first museum.


1891 - Academy moves into new 819 Market St. building (Architects: Percy & Hamilton) The land and the money for the building were gifts to the Academy from James Lick, who is also remembered through the Lick Observatory on Mount Hamilton.

  1906 - Earthquake & Fire destroy the Market St. Academy, including the vast majority of the specimen collections and library.
1916 - North American Hall (a U-shaped building now including Wild California, Mineral Hall, Bird Hall (closed in 1989 for seismic safety reasons), and the Invertebrate Zoology & Geology Department) (Architect: Lewis P. Hobart)

more photos

1923 - Steinhart Aquarium. Included three outdoor pools which held sea lions, seals and river otters over the years. (Architect: Lewis P. Hobart)
1934 - Simson African Hall. Academy administrative offices were located upstairs. (Architect: Lewis P. Hobart)
1951 - Science Hall (May T. Morrison Auditorium, Hall of Astronomy, Lovell White Hall of Man and Nature, Simson African Hall addition). Courtyard now contains only one pool. (Architects: Weihe, Frick & Kruse)
1952 - Alexander F. Morrison Planetarium (Architects: Weihe, Frick & Kruse)
1958 - Whale Fountain added to the courtyard. (Sculptor: Robert Howard. The fountain was originally made for the 1939 Worlds Fair on Treasure Island.) Last courtyard mammal pool is removed.
1959 - Mailliard Library/Eastwood Hall of Botany/Livermore Room. The Eastwood Hall of Botany now contains the Gary Larson exhibit and the Livermore Room is part of the Education Department. (Architect: Milton T. Pflueger)
1969 - Cowell Hall (Architect: Milton T. Pflueger); Whale Fountain moved, and Francis Scott Key statue removed to its present location on the Music Concourse.
1976 - Wattis Hall and Wattis Gallery. Upper floors of Wattis Hall house the Entomology Department and Botany Department. (Architect: Milton T. Pflueger)
1976 - Atholl McBean Gallery and Patricia Price Peterson Gallery. They are now jointly known as the McBean-Peterson Gallery, and contain the Life Through Time exhibit. (Architect: Milton T. Pflueger)
1977 - Meyer Fish Roundabout (Architect: Milton T. Pflueger)
1991 - Herbst Portico
      2003 - Golden Gate Park facilities close to the public December 31, 2003.
      2004 - Academy opens exhibits at 875 Howard St.
2008 - Academy opens new building in Golden Gate Park.